Main tasks & activities
Providing emotional support
Providing a friendly, listening ear to people
Providing cancer information – leaflets, etc
Collecting information – service user evaluation forms
Attending quarterly operational meetings to keep informed about developments in the service.
Attending any relevant training
Sign-posting to relevant organisations
Macmillan Cancer Support are based in four Renfrewshire libraries. We provide a free information and support service for anyone affected by cancer. https://bit.ly/1zU92hG
References can be provided to volunteers who are involved for more than six months in services
- Most important of all is the willingness to learn and the desire to support others.
- Open, warm and friendly manner
- Good communication skills
- Ability to ‘actively listen’ (training will be given)
- Awareness of own limitations and boundaries
- Commitment to the role
- Willingness to undertake training as required and attendance at volunteer engagement meetings
Requirements for starting the role
Those interested in volunteering with us will have to complete an application form, have an informal chat with a member of our team and if successful will be required to get a Disclosure check (this will be paid for by us).